Steam boiler maintenance: Annual maintenance plan
Like all industrial equipment, steam boilers require periodic maintenance and inspections to ensure their correct, safe, and efficient operation.
However, boilers are machines that compromise the continuity of production in many industries. This means that shutting them down can come at a high price, not only because of the maintenance cost but also on lost production.
It is for this reason that we establish an annual maintenance plan in which we perform important inspection tasks to detect most breakdowns preemptively.
What is the maintenance plan for a steam boiler?
• Internal inspection of the pressure body, plates, household, and tubular beam to control the formation of incrustations or corrosion of building materials.
• Hydro-washing of sludge deposited at the bottom of the body if it exists. This is important for optimal operation.
• Change inspection door gaskets, always install new gasket materials and check cover seats. This will avoid many accidents within the company.
• Measurement of plate thicknesses, and cylindrical body by ultrasound, we also record these values. It may be necessary to recalculate the maximum working pressure if these thicknesses are reduced over time.
Important aspects for your steam boilers
• Disassembly of security elements. In the case of electromagnetic level controls, check floats, bottles, verify play in mechanisms, check the integrity of the mercury ampoules and check that the insulation of the cables is not damaged.
For the electrodes, the task is cleaning parts that are in contact with water, alignment check, caulking, and seals.
• Hydraulic test of the work pressure equipment. Performed in order to verify that there are no leaks before and after maintenance (inspection of door seals, flanges, threads, etc.). After that, the container must remain pressurized for at least 15 minutes.
• Verification of opening of safety valves at a regulated pressure. If possible, remove them for stamping on a test bench.
• Inspection of refractory status in a burner or dry bottoms. Fill cracks if there are any or replace damaged parts with the appropriate materials.
• Verification of the internal state of the burner and its cleanliness. Check the condition of cables and connection cards.
• Start-up of the equipment where the operation of the control and safety elements will be checked.
• Gas analysis and combustion regulation. Through this process, the percentage of the following gases will be determined: O2, CO2, and CO.
Also, the temperature of the gases in the chimney, and the thermal efficiency of the boiler will be measured.
• Preparation of a technical report with the results obtained in the measurement of combustion efficiency and the general condition of the equipment, maintaining a history.
The steps for maintaining a steam boiler are quite specific, so you should entrust it to skilled professionals. In conclusion, if you need this type of service or any other related to preventive maintenance in your facilities, let us help you.